Wick-edly Sent Goes Green
When we decided to go green we discovered that some of the steps were already in place. It’s an important decision, but once you make a commitment, it’s easy to do. Going green is now more popular than ever, and we encourage you to do so too. But never forget the purpose: One World, One People, One Earth.
- We recycle office toner cartridges and computer equipment.
- We do not test on any animals, only friends (humans).
- We recycle our candle jars. Bring in your candle jar (originally from us) and we’ll give you $1 off toward another jar candle.
- We recycle newspapers and/or paper products.
- All of our gift boxes are made from recycled paper.
- All shopping bags are made with recycled paper.
- We recycle shipping materials and our cardboard.
- We use a soy base wax for our jar candles and palm wax for pillars (both natural resources).
- We email customer invoices to reduce paper waste.
- We avoid petroleum, formaldehyde, and/or harmful agents in our natural bath and body products.
- We use green friendly cleaning products.
- We have awnings on windows to reduce building temperatures.
- We do not water our lawn.
- Energy saving methods of lighting, cooling, heating.
- We opt to walk as much as possible instead of using vehicles.
- We try to buy local: farmer’s market, higher quality, buying local saves energy buy reducing fossil fuels needed to transport food and other items. Plus, it helps your local economy.
- Most of our displays are repurposed furniture.
- We prefer vendors and suppliers who are also green friendly.
Ways you can help: bring back your old candle jars to us to re-fill with more scented candles for you. Walk, bike, or carpool, as much as possible (a great way to keep fit too). Shop local (see #16). Skip the bottled water, filter your tap water for drinking rather than using bottled water, which produces large amounts of waste. I have a plastic bottle that I’ve used over and over with tap water. Recycle as much as possible, and teach the next generation to do the same.
Using sustainable materials and supporting organizations that fight to protect our environment are important in the quest for a greener society. Here at Wick-edly Sent we are doing just that with our recent membership and charitable donation to the Natural Resources Defense Council.